8.13.2011

Short and Sweet.

I showed you this little number in my last post:


A less-than-stellar garage sale purchase my daughter made for her new office.  It obviously exhausted the previous owner's patience, and if my daughter hadn't actually paid money for it, I prolly would've chucked it in da garbage.  It was THAT gross, though it did have pretty lines and such.  Here's how she looks now:


I didn't do any repairs to the veneer other than use some spackle to fill in gaps.  I cleaned and sanded best I could, then primed the bezeeses out of it.  Maddie and I both did several coats of paint, then used a spray clear topcoat.  


She may cover the shelves with some fabric, like I did on this desk way back when, using the same paint.  



Which actually sits in Maddie's bedroom as I type.  
She digs this color of blue/grey/green.


I added a pretty vintage-type knob, which my daughter promptly removed in order to use a satin nickel pull on 'er.  Eh, whatev.


Sorry I don't have a paint color for ya.  It's something I mixed up from a plethora of blue craft and wall paints I had hanging around. 


She's a cutie.  My daughter, I mean.  Yeah the bookshelf turned out ok too.
I just hope she doesn't go buying anymore furniture for us to paint until I get my garage cleaned out.  
And Maddie, dear, for future reference, peeling veneer is not a good sign.....

(with hubby Josh)

Linky-dinked up with:
Funky Junk Saturday Nite Special
Common Ground Vintage Inspiration Friday
Perfectly Imperfect All Things Furniture

19 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

that book case is the CUTEST! love the little drawer on top!

Fairfield House said...

Cindy,

When I first saw Maddie's bookshelf I thought it could not be salvaged. You've proven me wrong! The only thing lovelier is the girl that saw its (well) hidden potential.

Your Friend,
Deborah

Autum said...

You are a miracle worker, my friend. I would have thought that one was beyond hope.
Beautiful bookshelf for a beautiful girl!

judi said...

wow! what a difference indeed! i love the color and the cute little knob.
you're daughter has a knack for looking beneath the surface to see potential and real beauty...she must have learned it from her momma!
judi

Claudia said...

Looks great, but I can tell it was a lot of work!

xo
Claudia

COTTAG3 said...

That's an amazing transformation. The little knob is beautiful. I kind of like that the bottom shelf isn't perfect due to the peeling veneer. It gives it some character and history but then again, I don't like things that are too perfect. Love it!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

It looks 1000x better! I love the paint color, and that knob is so pretty. She really didn't want it? I guess it just wasn't in her vision of the piece. :)

You are a good mom to take that on! It really does look beautiful.

The Country Nest said...

The bookshelves look great and what a good Mom you are!

icandy... said...

what a gorgeous transformation! love the color...
happy saturday!
ox
christina

Brenda Pruitt said...

It sure cleaned up good!
Brenda

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Cindy, this really turned out great, wow, whodathought? The color is perfect! Great save, thanks for linking up to VIF! xo Debra

Karen said...

You created a miracle! it looks great and that color is beautiful.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

She didn't like the knob? I love the knob! Also the color is great. So cool that it has that skinny drawers.

Janet said...

Beautiful job! What an impressive before and after!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Cindy Sweetie...
Oh I simply adore this post. What a beautiful job you did. Oh my gosh yes the lines are exquisite. Love the color turn out, sometimes our own mixtures are just the best. I wish she would have kept the knob on there, that you added, as that is what drew my eyes right on up to the top. Just beautiful Cindy, just beautiful. On that bottom shelf, I think I would have just cut a new thin board to fit just inside of it, and tried painting that to cover up the veneer. Ofcourse, when it is filled with love items, it won't show anyway. I love it. Another beautiful project sweet friend. Just beautiful.

This is the Miracle Weekend makeover. I am one of the hosting sites. For every comment left, Guideposts magazine will pay a dollar, to the next cancer makeover patient. Please stop by and read the story about 9 year old Charlie, and bless me with a comment. Out goal between the 4 or 5 blogs is 5,000. I know we can do it. I would appreciate it, if you pass the word around to as many friends as possible.

Thank you sweetie for a wonderful post. I love it. Have a glorious weekend. Country hugs from Phoenix, Sherry

Rustique Gal said...

Hi Cindy, It is amazing what elbow grease and a bunch of paint will do, isn't it? This turned out sweet. I am now inspired to fix up that little french table into my new Robins egg blue coffee table. TaTa!
Hugs,
Sherry

Eileen @ Cottage Beach House said...

Hi Cindy, You and your beautiful daughter worked wonders on that bookcase. I didn't even notice the drawer till after you painted it! It looks so sweet now.

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

Glad to see you back transforming things into beauty! I think of you all the time. Swear it.

Shaunna said...

Love it!!! Thanks for linkin it up!
:-)
shaunna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails